THIS BLOG ATTEMPTS TO SHOW HOW SCIENCE IS CATCHING UP WITH REVEALED RELIGION

THIS BLOG IS AN ATTEMPT TO PUT ALL THE COOL STUFF THAT I BUMP INTO ABOUT THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST AND EVENTS THAT LEAD UP TO IT INTO ONE LOCATION.
THE CONTENTS WILL BE FROM AN LDS PERSPECTIVE. IF YOU DISAGREE WITH ANYTHING IN HERE, I DO NOT PARTICULARLY CARE TO ARGUE, UNLESS YOU CAN ADD TO THIS BODY OF WORK. I HAVE AN OPEN MIND, THAT IS WHY I READ STUFF FROM ALL DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES AND SEEK LEARNING FROM THE BEST BOOKS. I JUST AM NOT HERE TO ARGUE ABOUT IT - BUT TO PUT IT OUT THERE WHERE OTHERS CAN PERUSE/PURSUE IT. I TAKE PARTICULAR INTEREST IN HONEST SEEKERS OF TRUTH AND BELIEVE THAT SCIENCE IS REVEALED RELIGION'S BEST ALLY. YOU WILL SEE ALOT OF TOPICS IN THIS BLOG THAT SHOW SCIENCE BACKING - AND SLOWLY CATCHING UP WITH - REVEALED RELIGION.
ENJOY!!

Thursday, April 11, 2013

MORE ON SEER STONES

I shamelessly lifted this from LDSFF with some commentary by Serenitylala - an elect lady who seems to know quite a little bit about the subject:

In looking into the topic I found a few other items that have not been specifically mentioned on this thread.

Joseph in his translation of the Bible offers an addition about Peter being the rock. In John 1:42 he translates the verse, "Thou are Simon the son of Jona; thou shalt be called Cephas, which is, by interpretation, a seer or stone." We often speak of revelation in regards to Peter's testimony but I find this tie in to a seer stone interesting. Elder McConkie said, “In promising him the keys of the kingdom, our Lord [told] Peter that the gates of hell shall never prevail against the rock of revelation, or in other words against seership" (Doctrinal New Testament Commentary, 1:133 italics added).

It may be that Alma sheds more light on one reason why the gates of hell will never prevail against a seer. He says, "And the Lord said; I will prepare unto my servant Gazelem, a stone, which shall shine forth in darkness unto light, that I may discover unto my people who serve me, that I may discover unto them the works of their brethren, yea, their secret works, their works of darkness, and their wickedness and abominations" (Alma37:22-23). Thus his servants will have revealed to them the works of darkness around them and will escape.

I also found this article a useful compilation of historical information on the subject. http://en.fairmormon.org/Joseph_Smith/Seer_stones

Here was some interesting C&E commentary on a follow-on thread by Serenitylala:

          Alma 13:12.
But I must ask you, why are you associating it with a calling in the church? A person receives a calling & election made sure on the basis of fulfilling the four laws shown in the temple endowment and a person's faithfulness to Christ (2Nephi 32:1-6), not on organizational callings.

And, last of all, here is a compilation of most of what I have on the subject on this blog on seer stones:
 http://woodyoubelieveit.blogspot.com/search?q=seer+stone

ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment